Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What is the meaning of Christmas?

Christmas can mean different things to people and not so significant to a few... To me, it's such a special time. People are generally in a giving and cheerful mood.

Wherever you go, the smiles on people's faces are endless, wide and hearty. I think Christmas brings more "smiles" in peoples' hearts than any other holiday! Brings families and friendships closer... rekindles "love' for others.


For me Christmas is a GIFT. Because on this day a Savior was born. That child sacrificed His life for me that I might live. He said in His Book, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16
To me that means in my journey through life, it doesn't matter if my challenges and problems are as deep as the ocean or as high as a mountain... or if I can't see the light of day in sickness, pain, hurts or disappointments. Because I know He will always come through.

I know this because He said in the Book of Matthew, "...do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


One perfect example and I have many of them happened back in 1989. I just got laid off and lost my health insurance. A few days after I remember it was a Sunday. I woke up with the most excruciating pain in my stomach. With no access to any medications and no one was home with me I called 911. Once there at the ER in the midst of pain, a nurse was asking me about my health insurance. I replied, "I have none." She asked, "how are you going to pay for it?" I responded without thinking. I said, "cash." Looking back the best I can do was to make a monthly payment plan.

I did get better thank God. I was there for 5 days in the surgical floor diagnosed with a "kidney stone." The day I got discharged and signed off on all the required paperwork I was anxiously looking for my medical bill which I did not find. So I asked, where's my medical bill? They said, I will be billed and not to worry it will be mailed to me. But it was around $5,000 to $7,000 approximately. OK just great I thought.

One month passed, a year, 5 years, 10 years... now it's 2011 and it's been 22 years and "no medical bill" was ever mailed. That was one of many miracles in my life. Yes, that Savior saved me... that child's name is Jesus!

Christmas doesn't have to be a season. But a lifetime. It can be every day*...


Christmas brings peace to our hearts... healing to our brokenness... hope in our hopelessness.... faith that in spite of our weaknesses and imperfections there is Someone who is more than able... greater than us who will always take care of us...

He promised in Hebrews 13:5
“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you

...and the joy of His Promises where not only speaks of spending eternal life with Him where there is no more sickness, death, pain or crying... but experience His Love, Mercy, Miracles & Grace today in our lives...


That to me is what Christmas is all about....

Have a wonderfully blessed Holiday Season to and your families :)

No comments:

Post a Comment