Thursday, December 29, 2011

The LA Kings Will Make the Playoffs

Hockey is such a great sport and really fun to watch. The first hockey game I watched was between the LA Kings against oh yeah you've guessed it the Edmonton Oilers. The Wayne Gretzky era. To this day, I have been a Kings fan ever since. My whole household and all my friends are now Mighty Ducks fans since we all live in OC.


This year's LA Kings started with so much promise. With the acquisition of Mike Richards and the signing of Simon Gagne, a great defense and a top notch goaltending the Kings were highly regarded to be one of the top contenders for the Stanley Cup. But the story didn't unfold the way most people thought it would especially to the LA Kings including yours truly.

With the firing of Terry Murray and replaced by Darryl Sutter at the helm the Kings at least are 5-1-1 in the last 7 games. The Kings main problem is offense. No more no less. They have only scored an average of 2 goals or less in most nights. They are last in the league for goals scored. The good news is that they are still knocking at the playoffs for the 8th and final spot. Thanks to a great defense and penalty kill backed up by the stellar goaltending of Jonathan Quick.

The main problem for LA is the offensive side of their game. The Kings need definitely to score more goals for them to have a chance of making the playoffs. To prove my point the Kings are ranked 30th out of 30 teams in the entire NHL in goals scoring. Ranked 26th out of 30 teams on the power play. Defensively, they are ranked 6th best in the league on goals allowed and fifth best on the penalty kill.

So how can the Kings produce more offense. Her's my take on it. I don't think anyone should overreact The problem the Kings have is fixable. The issues I believe hovering the team in my opinion besides the obvious is consistency. The Kings are inconsistent because they lack discipline and maturity. I think the hiring of Darryl Sutter in my opinion is a wonderful move. I think Terry Murray did an excellent job in teaching a young team to play defense and have some structure. What the Kings need now is someone who will demand and get the best out of each player. And this is where Sutter is great at. His teams are all about grit, determination and passion. Excellent in fundamental execution taking teams into submission. This is where we'll find out who deserves to be here or not no matter how talented they may be.

For the players I think it's time to "step up or ship out."

I really believe that the Kings are so capable of scoring more than 2 goals a game and just needs someone at the helm who can get the best out of each player. Based on the type of team LA has Sutter fits the bill. We will make the playoffs and make it to the second round.


LA is in good shape in my opinion. No need to panic folks. No need at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment